Sunday, February 14, 2016

Eggplant Pizza


Eggplant. One of my the most delicious vegetables in my low carb life. It is high in fiber and can be transformed in flavor. I have been craving pizza a lot lately, but obviously a carb filled pizza doesn't fit into my diet. Instead of giving pizza up completely, I have been using eggplant to fulfill my pizza cravings. When cooked correctly, the eggplant takes on a similar texture to a pizza crust.  Below I posted my favorite eggplant pizza recipe! It's easy to make and tastes SO delicious!  I am trying to be better about taking pictures as I cook my food so that I am able to attach them to my posts!

Eggplant Pizza

Serves 2

Ingredients:
1 eggplant, approx. 9-10 inches long
1 TBS salt
2-3 TBS olive oil
3 tsp. dried italian seasoning 
1/3 c. grated parmesan cheese 
1/2 c. low fat shredded mozzarella cheese 
1 small onion chopped
** any other veggies you would like to include on your pizza

Ingredients for the sauce:
2 TBS minced garlic
3 tsp. olive oil
1 (14.5 oz.) can of diced tomatoes, otherwise you can use 2-3 diced fresh tomatoes
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. dried italian seasoning.

Instructions: 
Begin by cutting both ends off of the eggplant. Then slice your eggplant into 3/4 inch thick pieces. Line a cookie sheet with tin foil and use coconut oil to lightly grease the foil. Put the eggplant slices on the foil. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.


Sprinkle the 1 TBS of salt on top of the eggplant slices to help draw out some of the moisture. Let sit for about 20-25 minutes. You will begin to see small puddles on top of each slice. After the puddles form, use paper towel to pat both sides of the eggplant dry.

Brush olive oil over each slice of eggplant and sprinkle on the italian seasoning.  Place in the oven for 25 minutes.

While the eggplant is in the oven, begin making the sauce. Heat 2 TBS of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat along with the minced garlic and onion. Once the garlic becomes fragrant and the onions are clear,  add in the can of diced tomatoes with juice, oregano, and dried italian seasoning. Let the sauce simmer over medium heat until the sauce begins to thicken. 

Once the eggplant finishes baking, remove from the oven and spread the tomato sauce mixture on top of each slice of eggplant. Then mix the mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Sprinkle the cheese mixture on top of the sauce and place back in the oven on broil. Broil until the cheese is slightly melted and beginning to brown. Remove from the oven and serve immediately. 

ENJOY!! Next time you are craving pizza, try substituting your typical pizza with these delicious, low carb, eggplant pizzas! I promise you won't be disappointed! 










2 comments:

  1. Yummm! We'll be making this one soon ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you do, let me know how you like it! It's so yummy!

    ReplyDelete